Monday, May 18, 2009

5/18/09 part 1- home made hollandaise sauce

Since tonight was a softball night I had a bit of extra time to prepare dinner - I decided that it was a good night to take out the newly re-found sauce cookbook and try my hand at something to accompany the meat. I didn't really have very many ingredients on hand but butter and lemon are almost always to be found (luckily they escaped the great fridge clean out last night!). My last attempt at hollandaise sauce was pretty poor so I was really trying my best tonight..... and it worked perfectly. I think the secret was the addition of my immersion blender with the whisk attachment - apparently my wrist just doesn't cut it!



Hollandaise Sauce
2 tbsp white vinegar
6 peppercorns
1 bay leaf

2 egg yolks
1/2 c (1 stick) butter - softened
salt & pepper
1 tbsp lemon juice

1) heat the vinegar and herbs over low heat to infuse - after 5 min strain and put to the side to cool
2) cream butter in bowl
3) bring water in a double boiler (or heat safe bowl on top of a pan filled with water) to a simmer (DO NOT BOIL!)
4) using whisk beat egg yolks and vinegar together until fluffy (air bubble remain even when you stop mixing)
5) slowly (approx 1 tbsp at a time) add butter to mix and whisk until butter is fully combined - continue until all butter is used
6) slowly drizzle lemon juice in while continuing to whisk
7) add salt & pepper to taste




Hollandaise sauce will last 1 week in the fridge - use low heat to re-use