Wednesday, August 26, 2009

8/26/09 - Miso Marinaded Salmon w Lime Ginger Glaze & Asian Veg Quinoa

The was some wild caught salmon on sale this week at Fairway and since I had my fish only friend over I decided that it would be perfect. I signed up for this cooking class that featured a miso marinade and so I got the idea in my head. I looked around online and after a quick vote between some friends I had my winner. The winner ended up being from Cooking Light which is definitely a favorite for online and since I had almost everything (no limes) I was ready to go.


The recipe for the fish was actually very easy I was almost surprised at how little time it took! The salmon got a marinaded while I got the veggies ready for the quinoa. I prepped the glaze while the quinoa was resting and then made the salmon, coated in black sesame seeds, on the grill pan. I garnished the place with some Thai pepper sauce.

Miso Marnaded Salmon (I had 2.5 lbs or so)
1/4 cup red miso
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons rice wine

1) combine all ingredients into a paste and smear all over fish - let rest in refridgerator for at least 20 min

Lime-Ginger Glaze
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons ginger - shaved with a microplane

1) combine and heat in a saucepan on med -low
2) let reduce until thick 10-15 min
3) remove from heat and let sit - serve over fish or rice

Asian Veggie Quinoa
1 c quinoa - rinsed
2 c water

1 /2 green pepper - diced
1 shallot - diced
1 summer squash - diced
2 c mushrooms - diced
1 tsp olive oil
2 tbsp low sod soy sauce

1) boil water and quinoa in pan - remove from heat and cover until water is absorbed
2) heat olive oil in pan and add peppers and shallots
3) add squash, mushroom and soy sauce and combine over med heat - 10 min
5) add veggies to quinoa and serve




I recycled last nights tomato salad for this but added some fresh basil which I finally found at the farmer's market today and some Arugala and Fresh Mozzarella - I added Truffle Oil since I have had it and wanted to use it on something!

Fresh Mozzarella Salad
1/2 box Arugala
1 c fresh basil - diced
1 ball fresh mozzarella - in thick slices
2 c tomato salad
1 tsp per salad truffle oil
1 tsp per salad balsamic vinegar
salt & pepper