Sunday, August 16, 2009

8/13/09 Zucchini "Lasanga"

Unfortunately not ever dish is a winner (though I think it looks ok) and this one didn't really work out (too watery and a bit bland) but I do have some ideas to correct it for next time as I like the idea. I used my CSA fuzzy zucchini and a regular zucchini in this recipe but more squash would work. I also got a suggestion from a co-worker to try using eggplant instead which sounds interesting though I don't really love eggplant. I think this would also be great with a spicy twist as the zucchini alone don't have a ton of flavor. Any tried and true noodle-free veggie lasagnas? Another idea might be serving this on top of a pasta base?


Veggie Lasagna (noodle -free)
2 -3 zucchini (sliced thin on a mandolin/ slicer)
2 large carrots - grated
green bell pepper - 1" slices
yellow bell pepper - 1" slices
onion - 1" slices
1 clove garlic crushed
2 c marinara sauce (I cheated and used a jar of Bertoli tomato basil since all my sauces have meat in them - it tasted good)
2 c italian cheese blend

32 oz part skim ricotta cheese
2 eggs
1/2 c grated cheese
salt & pepper

2 tbsp basil
pam spray

1) slice zucchini thin on mandolin - salt both sides and set on paper towels to dry **see note below**
2) combine eggs, ricotta, grated cheese, salt & pepper
3) combine grated carrot, peppers, onions, garlic and basil **see note**
3) in a lasagna pan sprayed with pam layer sauce, zucchini, ricotta mix, italian cheese blend and veggie blend - repeat ending with a layer of sauce then cheese (I put a few left over slices of zucchini on top)
4) cover with tin foil and place in 350 F oven for 25 min
5) remove foil and cook for 10 min uncovered
6) remove from oven and allow to set at least 10-15 min
7) cut into slices and serve w grated cheese

**note** next time I make this I would roast all the zucchini slices and veggies mix before hand - coat with oil and spices and place in 350 over for 15 min