Tuesday, August 11, 2009

8/11/09 - Chicken Sausage and lot of CSA greens

After a few weeks of traveling the veggies are starting to take over the fridge so this week I have a plan to start working on some of them. We had a great salad for lunch (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, guacamole, tuna, feta cheese, and corn) so that was a good start.


I paired the chicken sausage (done on the grill pan of course) with some cole slaw and some white beans and swiss chard. Usually I make a stew -type dish with chicken sausage and swiss chard but since it was 93 F today I thought that it was a bit hot for something so warm.

I wish that I had some apple to add to the slaw but the one I swore I had in the fruit bowl when I went to the store today somehow mysteriously dissappeared :) hmmmm

Cole Slaw
1 head green cabbage -shredded
1 large carrot - shredded
1/2 c raisins - rought chopped
1/4 c sliced almonds
2 tbsp mayo
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
salt & pepper

1)mix all ingredients together and keep chilled

This slaw was a nice mix of sweet and tangy with the balsamic and raisins.

Swiss Chard and White Beans
1 bunch Chard - washed and in 1" ribbons
1 can canellini beans - rinsed and drained
2 tbsp garlic greens- diced
1 shallot - diced
1 tbsp olive oil

1) heat oil in pan and add garlic and shallots - brown
2) add beans
3) add swiss chard
4) keep pan covered so chard cooks down