Thursday, August 20, 2009

8/20/09 - Mango Cilantro Chicken

Wow tonight's dinner was an absolute surprise winner! I haven't been feeling good and I am not sure if it is allergies or a cold so a day of rest on the couch had me feeling a little lazy. I almost agreed to have burgers made by Jeremy but I knew I had stuff to use in the fridge. I tried to describe to him what I wanted but as soon as I tried to figure out my instructions I ended up on my feet.

It had just the right amount of heat from the hot peppers but the mango and salsa sweetened it a bit. It would have been nice to marinade the chicken a little longer but it was nice and juicy even with the 20 min or so while I prepped the veggies.

Mango Cilantro Chicken
10 chicken tenders
2 tbsp island mango marinade

2 carrots - cut into matchsticks
1/2 onion - 1" slices
2 green bell peppers - 1" slices
1 jalepeno - seeds and membrane removed - finely diced
1 lt green hot pepper - seeds and membrane removed - finely diced
2 tbsp island mango marinade
2 tbsp cilantro
2 tsp fresh squeezed lime juice
1 tsp olive oil

1) marinade chicken for 20 min or more
2) heat oil in wok pan
3) add chicken- flip after 4 min
4) add carrot, onion and peppers - cover 5 min
5) add mango marinade and stir together - cover and cook 3 more min
6) remove from heat and add lime and cilantro
7) serve either on a tortilla or alone

I also added some (freshly) grated Jarlsberg cheese (which was wonderful- I am going to have to sub this for cheddar again!) and some Trader Joe's Salsa Verde