Wednesday, September 9, 2009

9/9/09 - Grass Fed Burgers

About 2 weeks ago I decided to visit the farmer's market on the other side of town in Van Vorst Park. While I wasn't too excited over most of the offerings, I decided that I did want to try the grass fed ground beef that was raised by one of the farmers. He has little bags made up and frozen that were 1 lb each and he said it was 95% lean.

These burgers are about 1/4 lb each and were topped with some swiss cheese, a blend of onions and peppers finely diced and a slice of fresh tomato. This burger was so much better than the greasy ones that I think most people are accustomed. Definitely a step up from the ones served at the truck outside my work!

Unfortunately I still have to work on getting my burger to match my bun size thought. I seem to make my burgers a little too thick! Perhaps 1/3 lb burgers would have fit better?

Any tips for proper burger patty size - it seems too thin when I make them flatter?

7 comments:

Dolce said...

Burger patty - have you tried refrigerating them before grilling, so they have time to "stay in shape"?

Carla said...

thanks for the idea Dolce! I will definitely have to try that next time.... I have also considered adding some bread crumbs for stability. I think the low fat % doesn't help the situation either

Dolce said...

What exactly do you have in your burger patties? Maybe that's the key as well...

Carla said...

in these.... just meat, salt & pepper - I usually like to spice it up with some peppers and onions but since I paid a good amount for the beef I figured I should let that be the star for the night

I always laugh at those patty formers they sell in kitchen stores but I guess they do have a use

Velva said...

A good brush of olive oil, fresh ground black pepper and Kosher salt is all that is needed to make a great burger.
I really liked that you posted about grass fed beef. I don't have access to grass fed beef at my farmer's market but, there is a farm that I have been wanting to visit to purchase grass fed beef. Your blog post inspired to check it out sooner.

Carla said...

The fresh grass fed beef made a big difference in these burgers. Unlike the heavy feeling I often get after eating a normal cheese burger, I was amazed at how much I enjoyed this one. I might have to make a trip back over to that market as it is worth the early wake-up call on a Saturday morning to enjoy a burger like this at home.

Let me know how it comes out!

camelia said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,


petitchef.com

Post a Comment