Monday, September 21, 2009

9/17/09 - Asian Shrimp Lettuce Cups

Even though I was elbow deep in flour getting all the baking done for my Rosh Hashanah dinner, I couldn't resist making this simple shrimp dish a little more exciting. Since Jeremy over-ruled my suggestion of Vietnemese this week in favor of Sushi this was my nod to those flavors.

This was a simple dinner that only took a few minutes to prep but ended up being big on flavors thanks to the carrot ginger marinade. I found Cindy's Kitchen line of fresh marinades and dressings in my local Fairway market and I have to say they really help when the clock is ticking and dinner still is nowhere in sight.

Asian Shrimp Lettuce cups
1 head boston lettuce
1 lb shimp - peeled and deveined
2 tbsp Cindy's Kitchen Carrot Ginger Vinegrette
1/2 red bell pepper - thinly sliced
1/2 yellow bell pepper - thinly sliced
1/2 onion - thinly sliced
1 tbsp oil

2 c orzo salad
1/2 c guacamole

1) Marinade shrimp in vinegrette for 20 min
2) Heat grill pan until hot and add shrimp, cook 3-5 min or until pink and flip to other side for another 3 min - put aside
3) Heat small sautee pan and add oil
4) Add peppers and onion and sautee until soft - set aside
5) Heat Orzo Salad mixture (microwave or sautee w some oil)
6) Slice head of lettuce in half and remove the leaves - rinse and pat dry
7) Assemble by placing a spoonful of Orzo mix on a lettuce leaf then adding slices of pepper and onion and topping with 3 shrimp and a dollop of guacamole