Monday, September 7, 2009

9/7/09 - Lobster Salad and Chopped Caprese Salad

This week I have to admit I have sort of been a bit obsessed with food blogs. I found this site that is a collection of blogs and it makes it too easy to search out new recipes. But today my plan was clear, there was a deconstructed Chopped Caprese Salad on smitten kitchen and tried I it a day later but ate it before I could get my camera out. A few days later, Izzy's Mama (a local JCer) tried her own version and that looked even better with the addition of pancetta.

I included a few of my own favorites (baby arugala) and again had to "make do" with fresh basil instead of pesto (some day I will actually have all the correct ingredients on hand). I added a lobster salad roll to complete the meal (brunch?) which combined the lobster meat that I prepped yesterday and another of the Eli's rolls. I think maybe we should have gotten a dozen since 4 of the 6 are already gone!



Carla's Chopped Caprese
4 heirloom tomatoes (various colors) - chopped
1/2 large mozerella ball - diced
1 can canellini beans - rinsed and drained
1/4 lb pancetta - diced into cubes
2 c baby arugala
1 bunch basil - in ribbons
2 tbsp garlic - diced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt & pepper

1) in a small frying pan add diced pancetta and heat over med heat until browned
2) combine other ingredients in a large bowl and mix together
3) when pancetta in done remove excess greas on a paper towel and add to salad
4) mix and serve

Lobster Salad
2 c cleaned lobster meat - chopped
2 tbsp light mayo
1 celery stick- diced fine
2 scallions - diced
1 tsp old bay seasoning
salt & pepper
1 roll

1) combine and served on a buttered and toasted roll