Tuesday, November 10, 2009

11/9/09 - Chicken Veg and Bean Soup

Last week was yet another business trip... this time to Montreal, Canada. While I can't say much about the dinner we had there (mis-communication led to a plate of chicken fingers instead of roasted chicken) we did have a wonderful lunch out in the eastern providences at the Le Relais Restaurant-Bistro Since I made the bad decision to not take my winter coat I was pretty cold the whole trip and took every opportunity to sample the soups. I decided to make my own version last night as the hearty bean and vegetable mix was delicious and hit the spot!

Pic coming soon!

Chicken, Vegetable and Bean Soup

1 breast of chicken - shreded (I used left overs from dinner but you can always roast up a boneless skinless or use one of the pre-cooked ones you find in most grocery stores)
1 can white northern beans -rinsed and drained
1 can pinto beans - rinsed and drained
10 baby carrots - diced
1/2 onion - diced
2 scallions - diced
1 green bell pepper - diced
10 mushrooms sliced (I used baby bellas)
1 zucchini - diced
1 box chicken broth
1 large can crushed tomatoes
1 tbsp oil
1 clove garlic - crushed
2 tbsp fresh cilantro - minced
2 tbsp fresf parsley- minced

1) in a large pot add oil and garlic
2) add onions, carrots, peppers and scallions- saute until soft
3) add tomatoes, beans and broth
4) let come to a simmer and add zucchini and mushrooms
5) add shredded chicken
6) add herbs and salt/ pepper to taste