Monday, November 9, 2009

11/6/09 - Beef Tenderloin w Grilled Asparagus, Fingerling Potatoes and Butternut Squash

Well my mom finally came to visit (she lives in Boston and I am down in NJ) so I had to plan something a little special for dinner. She asked me to not go crazy but after 20+ (soon to be 30+ yikes!) years of taking care of me I figured if there was any company deserving of the beautiful beef tenderloins that were sitting in my fridge that she was the one!

The dinner was quite simple as I promised I wouldn't spend my night slaving in the kitchen so I seasoned the tenderloins and then pan seared them. Once all 4 sides were nice and brown I placed them in a 350F oven for about 20 min. The Fingerling potatoes came from my CSA and were just scrubbed clean and then boiled in some salted water for about 35 min. The butternut squash (also from the CSA) was peeled and cubed, boiled for about 20 min and then served with a pat of butter and a drizzle of maple syrup. Finally for the asparagus I coated them in olive oil, salt and pepper and cooked them on the grill pan for about 15 min.

It was a lovely dinner and only about 15-20 min of the prep required me in the kitchen (searing the beef and watching over the asparagus) which gave me plenty of time to hear all the gossip and news from home!

The one thing that I wish I had made was a nice red wine- peppercorn sauce to accompany the meat but everything was quite delicious just as it was and not having to stress made things even better.