Monday, November 9, 2009

11/4/09 - Chicken and Zucchini "Lasagna"

Since I have cut most pasta out of my diet recently and I was going away for a night I wanted to leave a casserole type dish that was all ready to just head into the oven so that when my plane landed I was guaranteed a nice home cooked meal all warm and waiting for me. I decided to try out this italian-y lasagna like creation that used up some of the chicken that I had left over from the previous dinner. With all the layers of ricotta and sauce I don't think that anyone missed the noodles and I suppose it was probably a bit healthier than grabbing something to go at the airport.



Chicken and Zucchini "lasagna"

1 lb roasted chicken breast - meat off the bone and shreded (I used a combo of left overs from a breast and some chicken tenders)
2-4 zucchini sliced the long way thin (about 1/2 cm - try a mandolin for even slices)
1 small container part skim ricotta
1 egg
2 tbsp parsley
1 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp grated cheese
salt & pepper
1 tsp nutmeg
2 c sauteed mushrooms (mine were left overs)
2 c pasta sauce (mine was left overs from my last homemade batch)
2 c grated 2% italian blend cheese

1) roast chickens at 350 until done (175F in center) - let cool and then shred
2) salt zucchini slices and place in oven to bake until soft - approx 35 -45 min
3) mix ricotta cheese, egg, parsley, garlic, grated cheese and salt & pepper
4) layer sauce, chicken & mushrooms, italian blend cheese, zucchini, ricotta mix three times
5) top with a layer of sauce and italian blend cheese (you can refrigerate for 2-3 days or freezer here)
6) place in 350F oven for 45 -60 min with foil cover
7) remove foil and cook for additional 15 min or until cheese is browned and bubbly