Monday, November 9, 2009

10/30/09 - Sausage, Purple Kale and White Bean Soup

Well the cold is officially here... it seems just like our shorter than average summer (this year was far to rainy to call it a proper summer in my book!) the fall might have a similar fate. While we still have been treated to a few days in the mid 50s we have also had the fun of a few nights that were just around freezing (32). I had a lighter dinner planned for tonight but since the thermometer was falling and I wanted to use up some of our final CSA treats I decided instead to make this soup. I have been seeing varations of it for some time now and was always interested as I love white beans but never actually got to trying my own version. I have seen many people using the crock pot for this as well and since the kale can sometimes benefit from an extended soak I think it would be a great idea. Since I am a bit of a bad blogger.... this post is a week or so overdue and now I can't remember exactly how I started things out... I seem to remember adding some bacon instead of oil to saute the vegetables in so that is how I will write the recipe as even if I am just imagining it up it seems like a great idea!



Chicken Sausage, Kale and White Bean soup

2 slices bacon - diced
10 baby carrots - diced
2 stalks celery - diced
1/2 onion- diced
2 chicken sausages - removed from casing (these were parmesean chicken but any variety would do)
1 box chicken broth
1 med head of kale - rinsed. large stems removed and chopped into ribbons (about 1" x 3")
1 can white northern beans (rinsed and drained)
salt & pepper

1) in a pot add bacon and render fat
2) add kale and about 2 tbsp broth - cover
3) once kale has wilted and is softer - remove from pan
4) add sausage meat and brown
5) add carrots, onions and celery
6) add kale back to pot
7) add beans and remaining broth
8) season to taste w salt & pepper (some crushed red pepper if you like) and let simmer for 30-60 min