Wednesday, December 9, 2009

12/9/09 - Chicken Marsala w Fettucini

Yikes it been exactly a month since I posted anything and in actuality I have only cooked a few times in all of that (except for a marathon butternut ravioli session thanksgiving eve). But I am hoping to work on that in the next few weeks when I am actually going to be home. With the holidays almost here I am excited to get started on making some goodies!


Tonight I made an old favorite that I haven't made in forever, Chicken Marsala. I bought some Marsala wine a few months back when I visited one of the mammoth liquor in the 'burbs and sort of forgot about it until this weekend when I made my first visit to a giant liquor store that opened nearby me which got me thinking.
I served the chicken with some fresh (well frozen) pasta I had made while assembling the ravioli earlier this month. I do wish that my head wasn't elsewhere (tomorrows brisket) when I began cooking tonight as I forgot about the bag of shallots I bought earlier this week till after dinner was on the table. This dish definitely could have used a bit more seasoning in it as the sauce was a bit light... maybe some fresh herbs would have helped too? Speaking of seasoning a friend mentioned today that she uses 6+ heads of garlic a week! I think maybe I need to spice things up a bit as I only use a measly one (on average) though I do use almost a mill full of peppercorns a week! How is your hand with the spices?

Chicken Marsala
1 container button mushroom - cleaned and sliced
6 thin sliced chicken breasts (or 3 large butterflied)
1/2 c flour
1 tbsp dried parsley
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp oil
2 gloves garlic - smashed
Salt & pepper
1 c marsala wine

1) Mix flour, parsley, salt and pepper together and coat chicken breasts
2) In large pan heat oil and butter together, add garlic clove
3) Saute chicken in pan - flip once browned (5 min each side)
4) Remove chicken from the pan and add the mushrooms and wine
5) Let simmer until thickened
6) Add chicken back into the pan and coat with wine sauce