Sunday, December 27, 2009

12/27/09 - White Chicken Chili

After spending the past week traveling for the holidays I returned to an empty house yesterday. I had tried to clean out the fridge before leaving so my options were limited to take out. On our trip home we stopped at my boyfriends parents house and had a heart bowl of beef soup that his mother prepared and it left me wanting to make some of my own. While I try to avoid chains like Ruby Tuesday's I have to admit it is one of the only options near my work and the salad bar and a bowl of chili seem to be better for me than running to the grease truck for a steak and cheese sub or similar. I have gotten quite fond of their white chicken chili which you can get along side the salad bar for under $10. I knew however that the chili couldn't be that difficult to replicate and perhaps a homemade version would be even better.

After taking a look around the internet I found a few places that replicated their recipe. I had to make a run out to the store to get myself ready for the week ahead (and our New Year's Eve eve party on wednesday night).
I had a hard time finding the diced chili peppers so I stuck with the jalapenos and added a few shakes of crushed red pepper.

White Chicken Chili
3 cans canellini beans - rinsed and drained
6 chicken tenders - cooked and diced
2 c chicken broth
1/2 green pepper - diced
1/2 red onion diced
3 scallions - diced
1 jalepeno - diced (seeds removed)
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp oregeno
1 tbsp chili powder
salt, pepper, crushed red pepper
sour cream
cilantro
2% mexican cheese blend

1) add oil to pan and saute onions until translucent
2) add diced peppers & scallions and seasoning
3) add beans to pan along with broth and chicken- bring to a boil
4) use a potato mashers to squish some of the beans
5) continue to simmer uncovered and allow to thicken
6) when serving stir in about 1 tbsp cheese and top with a dollop of sour cream and cilantro