Tuesday, December 29, 2009

12/28/09 - Party Prep...baking - Sundried tomato palmiers and cheese sticks

Tonight I had some "slave labor" (self-labelled) join me in the kitchen to get some of the baking started. I decided to make a veggie lasagna and some meatballs (the meatballs were kept separate from all of the lasagna of course and I didn't use eggplant but some carrots were added to the lasagna) on sunday night while I had a little bit of spare time to cook so that I could concentrate on the appetizers tonight. My aunt bought me her favorite appetizer cook book a few months back and I am slowly moving through many of ideas. Since our New Year's Party was going to a little smaller than a usual gatherings I decided that we could try branch out from the old favorites and experiment. I still have no idea what else I will be doing but I know there is going to be something?

From hors'doeuvres by Eric Treuille & Victoria Blashford-Snell

Sundried Tomato Palmiers
3.5 sheets of puff pastry
2 jars oil packed sundried tomatoes
1/4c pine nutes
1/2 c grated parmesan cheese
3 gloves garlic - smashed

egg wash

1) Place tomatoes (with oil), nuts, cheese and garlic in food processer and blend into paste
2) Roll out each sheet of pastry dough and add thin layer of pesto
3) but the sheet in half lengthwise so you have two rectangles approx 4" x 9"
4) Roll the sheet up so end meet in the middle and place roll side down on a sheet
5) refrigerate for 20 min or until firm slice each roll into 1/2" pieces
6) coat all sides in egg wash and place on a greased sheet
7) cook for 10 min in a 400F oven

Parmesean cheese sticks
1 sheet puff pastry
2 tsp paprika
3 tbsp grated parmesean
egg wash

1) lay out pasty and add 2 tbsp of cheese and paprika to entire side
2) fold in half and cut into 1/2 " strips - coat all sides with egg wash
3) twist ends around each other and lay on greased sheet
4) bake at 400F for 8 min

Both can be stored in air tight container for a few days - crisp and warm in 400F oven for 3 min before serving


I also made a batch of cheese straws from Smitten Kitchen http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/06/cheese-straws/ however one batch was rolled a bit thin so make sure your dough is 1/8" or more thick as they were better when they were a bit thicker

I didn't have any milk so I had to substitute some water..... they came out fine but I would imagine that milk is a better fit

1 1/2 c grated Cheddar cheese
4 tbsp of butter, softened and cut into 4 pieces
3/4 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1-2 tbsp water (to bind)

1) add all ingredients but water to food processor and mix together
2) slowly add water until dough begins to form a ball
3) roll out into 1/8" thick rectangle and slice into 1/4" strips
4) place on greased sheet and cook at 350F for 12 -14min

these can also be stored and served room temp