Friday, March 12, 2010

3/4/10 - Left Over Chicken Soup...recycling in the kitchen

Since I had a party on Saturday night I wasn't up to roasting my usual Sunday afternoon chicken (in fact I wasn't even up for most of the day!) so I didn't have chicken stock on hand for my usual weekly soup. Soup is one of my favorite meals - honestly I could eat it every day (and I usually do have a bowl at lunch most days) so I had to resort to some boxes of stock that I had been saving up when they go on sale (4 /$10 for the organic chicken at stew leonards). While the broth wasn't its usual flavorful self I did have plenty of left over veggies and appetizers that were perfect for making this soup more than just your average chicken soup.

I started with the left overs from my crudites plate - carrots, celery and red peppers and I added in some onion. Then I went to my hot appetizers and used the mini meatballs (both the chipotle and the moroccan) as well as the cheese wontons as my pasta. While each had its own unique taste when it was served on its own, together they blended together and complemented the dish nicely. I threw in a few more veggies (mushrooms and spinach) and a touch of grated cheese to pull it all together.



Left over Chicken Soup
2 boxes organic chicken stock
approx 24 mini meatballs (see moroccan meatball recipe) - baked
approx 15 cheese wontons
2 stalks of celery diced
10 baby carrots diced
1/2 onion diced
1/2 container of mushrooms sliced
1 bag spinach - cleaned and ripped into bite size pieces
1 tbsp oil

1) In large pot heat oil, saute carrots, onion and celery
2) Once softened add broth and allow to simmer
3) Add mushroom and spinach, continue to simmer
4) Add meatballs and wontons, cook until wontons float to top