Sunday, October 4, 2009

10/3/09 - Classic Lunch...Soup and Grilled Cheese

After getting caught in another downpour (luckily I did have an umbrella) we were wet and cold so soup was a definite for the lunch menu. I didn't want to waste any time making it since we were hungry so I deconstructed this minestrone-ish soup to cook all the ingredients and get them together fast. This only took about 15-20 min from first chop to first slurp. I was thinking of my mothers Pasta Fagioli when I was preparing this but I didn't want to limit myself to the macaroni and bean combo. The "grilled cheese" is actually honey turkey and munster for him/ american for me with a dab on spicy sweet honey mustard.


Speedy Minestrone
1/2 lb elbows (or any smaller pasta shape)
3 diced tomatoes (it would be great if you wanted to peel these but I never bother)
1/2 zucchini - in 1/8" coins cut in half again
1 onion -- diced
1 carrot - in 1/8" coins cut in half again
1/2 yellow bell pepper - diced
1 small red pepper - diced (seeds and membrane removed)
1 rib celery - diced
1 can low sod chicken broth
1 tbsp dried basil
1 tbsp fresh parsley - minced
3 cloves of garlic - minced
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp crushed red pepper
salt & pepper
grate cheese

optional: 8-10 mini -meatballs - made with normal recipe just in a 1" diameter size

1) Heat salted water and cook pasta according to directions - strain when cooked
2) In a separate pot, heat oil
3) Add onions, celery, peppers and carrot - saute until softened (about 5 min)
4) Add garlic - heat till aromatic
5) Add tomatoes and broth - stir to combine
6) Defrost meatballs (microwave at 50% for about 3 min) and add to soup
7) Allow to come back to a boil - add herbs & seasoning
8) Add pasta to soup - add additional broth or water if more liquid is needed
9) Sprinkle grated cheese over soup and serve

1 comment:

Dolce said...

That's my usual lunch when I am out of ideas: soup. Usually split pea but any other variation is welcome...

Post a Comment