Wednesday, June 9, 2010

6/4/10 - Secrets of fast heathy cooking...make your own spice rub!

While its fun to make creative, exciting recipes some nights getting dinner on the table and not picking up that phone to call for pizza is really all I can manage. This dinner doesn't look particularly exciting but it was easy and tasty. I wanted to add this becuase it is another example of a less time than takeout dinner that anyone can do. The basic meal is easy - marinade a protein while at work (or use a dry rub), steam a veggie and then grill (or saute) the protein.
Tonight dinner was marinaded pork chops that I cut off the bone into chunks before cooking since I was tired and hungry and wanted to eat fast! I was trying to get things done so fast that I forgot to marinade or run the pork with anything so I just sprinkd a bit on each side as it was cooking (for best results try to coat and let sit for 30 + min).  The best thing about this rub is that unlike store bought seasoning mix you get to decide what you like and what you don't. I try to have a bit of a few different blends (you can store them in spice jars or any air tight container)

Pork/Chicken/Beef Spice Blend (makes about 1 1/2- 2 c of seasoning)
3/4 c salt
6 tbsp fresh ground pepper
1 tbsp chipotle pepper
1 tbsp rushed red pepper
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp hot paprika
1 tsp all- spice
optional - 2-4 tbsp brown sugar (will help add a sweet caramelized flavor)