Tuesday, June 22, 2010

6/20/10 - Garlic Scape Pickles

I love pickles... I can eat a whole jar in a day! OK I can eat a whole jar in one sitting...and I love to try and make some of my own things so it was natural that I wanted to try my hand at making refrigerator pickles (again). This is one of the methods for making pickles and results in the crisp fresh pickles that I like best. Usually labeled as New Pickles these only need to soak for 24 hours before they are ready to enjoy (after 1 week is best though)



The first time I made pickles things came out OK but this time I was prepared. I had saved some old pickle jars as well as getting some regular canning jars. I made my own spice mix again and added a few more ingredients. I also tried two different cuts - 1/2s and spears. Pickling is quite easy once you have the supplies. Just heat the vinegar, herb and spice mixture and pack the jars....pour the mix over and let cool then refrigerate. Don't forget to use a coated metal pot to heat the pickling mixture! Vinegar will react with most metals so you need to be careful when you are making your pickle brine. Check out the Daily Special on Foodbuzz today for the perfect pot, an enameled cast iron LeCruset.

click throught for my pickle brine


Pickle Mix (based on pickling recipe on Pick you Own)
2 c white vinegar
1 c garlic scapes
1 c fresh dill
1/3c salt
1/3 c sugar
1 tbsp celery seeds
1 tbsp mustard seed
2 tsp tumeric

1) Heat ingredients together to a simmer.
2) Layer Garlic Scapes, Dill and Cucumber spears
3) Fill jar with vinegar solution- evenly disperse spice mix.
4) Let cool for approx 2 hrs then store in refrigerator - store for up to 2 months