Sunday, May 2, 2010

4/29/10 - Grilled Mahi Mahi with Broccoli Rabe

This is a simple dinner but preparing Broccoli Rabe correctly can sometimes be tricky. This vegetable is one of my favorites but because of the care needed in the prep it can sometimes be less than delicious. Broccoli Rabe belongs to the bitter green family and needs to be blanched in hot water before being sauteed. I almost always cook it the same - blanched, then sauteed in olive oil, garlic and crushed hot pepper - as its familiar from my childhood.


To get this dinner together on time I began by boiling the salted water for the greens. Once I had that at a boil I heated the pan to sear the fish, starting with the skin side down. I coated the fish liberally in a store bought seafood herb blend (in a large grinder which is very convenient! I also have a beef seasoning one) After the broccoli rabe turns bright green (about 2-4 min in the boiling water) remove it and then heat some oil and garlic to saute the rabe till it is infused with a delicious rich garlicky flavor.