Tuesday, April 27, 2010

4/25/10 - Seafood Scampi with local clams and ramps

After a tough pilates session followed by a walk through the neighborhood, we headed home with only one thing on our mind....food! Our pilates lesson is at 2pm so depending on when we get up, it can be difficult to eat before going since you need about 2 hours to digest. Today was one of those days - though I was in "bed" (or rather the couch!) early, I still slept till almost noon. I guess I was really tired? Either way I was dreaming of using some of our remaining farmer's market scores and decided that a nice pasta with seafood would be delicious.

As I started the get the clams (the fishmonger said they are/were from eastern LI), shrimp & scallops ready and the pasta water boiling, I decided that perhaps I could substitute in some of my local ramps for the garlic that is so very important in a good scampi. This was the first time I ever tried to use ramps - a cross between a leek and garlic that is part of the lily family, with both an edible bulb and leaf. I wish that I had looked up the site I linked to above that recommends mixing some garlic in with the ramps to really bring out the flavor as I felt that they weren't all that prominent in my dish. While none of the flavors were very prominent, the combination of all of the ingredients, along with a little zip from some crushed red pepper was delicious.


Seafood Scampi
12 large shrimp - peeled & deveined
12 little neck clams - shells scrubbed
12 scallops
1 bunch ramps - washed ans diced - whites separate from the greens
5 mushrooms - sliced
1/2 red pepper- diced
1/2 c white wine
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tbsp fresh chives 
1/2 lb linguini

optional grated Parmesean cheese

1) Cook linguini according to package- once cooked stain and toss with 2 tbsp oil
2) In a large wok pan heat up 2 tbsp of oil
3) Saute ramp whites and peppers until softened
4) Stir in mushrooms and ramp greens and add white wine
4) Add scallops, shrimp and clams and cover pan to steam
5) Once clams have opened, toss in pasta
6) Add crushed red pepper and chives and top with grated cheese if desired

3 comments:

Cleo Coyle said...

Hi Carla - this dish looks amazing, and I appreciate your frank comments about the ramps. I have yet to see them on sale here in my Queens' markets, but I'm always on the lookout for them. I continue to remain curious about cooking with them. Glad to find your blog :-)

~Cleo

Anonymous said...

This looks great! Something that could've cost $20 in a fine Italian restaurant. :)

Carla said...

thank you so much! I love being able to use really fresh ingredients....I was so busy this weekend I couldn't hit the market and I am craving more goodies!

Post a Comment