Thursday, May 27, 2010

5/19/10 - Strawberry Rhubarb Oatmeal Cobbler

After spending 20+ years of my life only hearing about rhubarb but never tasting it, it has quickly become one of my favorite spring treats. The slender celery-like stalks are the perfect match for my all time favorite strawberries. As I child, I loved strawberries that I ate so many I ended up in the hospital with an allergic reaction! I don't know how or why this happened but it hasn't I haven't had any issues since and I am never shy with the strawberries. Rhubarb is a bit tart but the sweetness of the berries (or another fruit) contrasts it wonderfully making both seem even more delicious. This recipe is very fast which makes it a great option for an after dinner treat any night of the week.




Strawberry Rhubarb Oatmeal Crumble (taken from the Chicago Sun Times) 
Filling:
1/2 c sugar
2 tsp flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 1/2 c strawberries- sliced
1 1/2 c fresh rhubarb, 1/2-inch dice



Streusel:
1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 c sugar
3/4 c flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c old-fashioned rolled oats
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c butter, slightly softened



1) Mix sugar, flour and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add strawberries and rhubarb and toss to coat with sugar mixture.
2) Place fruit in greased pie dish. 
3) Mix sugars, flour, salt, oats and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Cut softened butter into 1-inch pieces and work into sugar and flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Spoon topping evenly over filling
4) Bake at 400F for 20-25 min or until filling is bubbling through