Thursday, July 9, 2009

Thursday 7/9/09 - Alaskan Halibut w Tabbouleh and Asian Slaw

I have started falling behind on my CSA share a bit this week. My planned out meals left little space for working in my veggies so tonight I decided I had to make sure I included some in the menu. I had a nice halibut steak but I was a little upset to see a giant bone in the center! I always get fillets of fish and I didn't even think of it ... dinner came out great but of course ended up finding a few more.



This halibut was taken from a recipe on cookinglight

Blackened Halibut (serves 2)
1 lb halibut

2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp fresh oregano
1 tsp finely diced garlic scapes

1 tsp olive oil

1) mix all spices together and coat both sides of halibut
2) heat grill pan and 1 tsp oil
3) sear both sides of fish (about 3-5 min per side)

Remoulade
1/3 c mayo
2 tbsp mustard w seeds
2 tbsp diced half sour pickle (about 1/2 a pickle)
2 tbsp chopped parley
1 tbsp diced scallions
1 tbsp diced garlic scapes
1/2 tsp salt

1) mix all together
2) serve about 1 tbsp per serving
(use the leftovers for a delicious sandwich spread!)

Tabbouleh
1 packaged tabbouleh mix
2 c water

1/2 c diced tomato
1/4 c diced cucumber (seeded)
2 tbsp diced parsley
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp diced scallions
1 tsp diced garlic scapes

1) boil water and add to tabbouleh - cover for 20-30 min
2) mix remaining ingredients into bowl

asian slaw
2 c kohlrabi - grated (3 heads)
1 c carrots - grated (about 4)
2 tbsp ginger soy salad dressing
1/4 c slivered almonds
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1 tsp olive oil

1) rate the veggies together in a large bowl
2) add the dressing
3) heat the oil in a small frying pan
4) carefully brown the sesame seeds and almond on medium heat
5) combine and serve