Monday, June 28, 2010

6/28/10 - To market we go!

A Saturday at home means a trip into the city to the Greenmarket in Union Square. Its wonderful to visit my favorite stands and be inspired by all of the goodies. This week I had to be careful about sticking to my list though. I will be traveling on Tuesday though Thursday and then heading straight for vacation over the 4th of July. In my family, our tradition is a large family party on the 4th at our lake house in New Hampshire. When I was younger there would be upwards of 100 of us gathering together for a giant potluck buffet. But as we get older it becomes more and more difficult to all get together. While we still have many people gathering together each family tends to do their own thing for dinner.

I wanted to get a few things that could travel well so I could give my family a little taste of the Greenmarket. I decided that sausages were probably the easiest meat to transport and ready to grill up as a perfect lunch. Unfortunately even though we were up earlier than usually many of the vendors were already sold out! I guess you need to be even an earlier bird to catch the worm...uhhh sausage! We were able to get one of our favorites (the Bavarian Beef) and we did get some other things to try including some more of the baby fingerling potatoes which are just amazing when roasted! The rest of the goodies will become dinner tonight and tomorrow before our trip. Since we were running around I decided to throw some sliders together using some meat that I had ground a few weeks ago which made a delicious burger. On the side I served some swiss chard (from my CSA) and crimini mushrooms from the market (Bulich's Mushroom Farm) sauted with some shallots.
Click though to see our market finds!


What I got at the market:
1 x 4pack bavarian beef sauasage
1lb sundried tomato & chardonnay pork sausage bulk (ie not in casings)
1.3 lb brigid's abbey cheese (1 lb was for a friend)
1 lb baby fingerling potato
1 pt baby apricots
1/2 pt red raspberries
3 fuji apples & 2 pears
1 lb dover sole
1.25 lb cod
4 oz lavender goat cheese
bag of sugar snap peas
bag of shelling peas
4 ears jersey corn