Friday, June 11, 2010

6/11/10 - Strawberry Tart

With spring berries just starting to arrive at the market its hard not to think of dessert! This tart is one of my favorites and also one of my first dessert recipes.My aunt use to help me with this when I was younger but she has passed the recipe on to me now and I have fun creating it on my own (with a little help from my amazing architect boyfriend who is the BEST! at arranging the berries just so). One of the secrets to this tart is making sure you go over the berries with a fine tooth comb (so to speak!) and I have found that using a nice big colander to help wash them and get any grit off them is especially necessary when you are using farm fresh (vs those big mutant berries that you find year round in the stores) Luckily today's Daily Special is a wire mesh colander and is perfect for this task!






I started with a pate brisse crust:

2.5 c flour
1 c butter (cut into 1" chunks)
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 -1/2 c ice cold water (add slowly until dough sticks together)
1) combined dry ingredients and mix in the butter with a pastry cutter
2) slowly add the water to the dough crumbs until it begins to form a ball
3) divide dough into two and then roll each half into a ball
4) place between wax paper and roll into a disk
5) let rest in fridge for about 20 -30 min
6) roll dough out (about 1 " larger than diameter of pan) to fit pan
7) dock the dough (make little holes so there aren't any air bubbles) with a fork, line it with foil and use beans to weigh down crust
8) cook at 400 for 25 min

(I used a bit more than half of the dough and the rest is in the freezer for tart later this week)
then you make the filling: (note just about any fruit works here but I love my strawberries!)
4 c strawberries (sliced) - 1 nice one left whole
1 c rhubarb - peeled and diced
1/4 c sugar
1 packet knox gelatin
1/2 c hot water
1/2 c blueberries

other: tart pan, immersion blender, strainer
1) separate out nicest strawberries and save for tart
2) add the other 2 c strawberry and 1 c rhubarb and sugar to sauce pan
3) as they start to cook down use the immersion blender to make smooth
4) dissolve gelatin in the hot water and add to fruit mix - mix well
5) once mix comes to a boil remove from heat and strain out all solids
6) layer the nice strawberries in the tart shell with the whole one at the center - start from the outer edge and work in making a spiral - fill any gaps with left over berries and then scatter the blueberries around
7) pour in the fruit mixture and let set in fridge overnight