Sunday, June 20, 2010

6/18/10 - Softshell Crab Po'boy

A few weeks ago I went out to Long Island for the Nautical Mile Seafood Festival and had some delicious seafood. I was very impressed by the fish market and when I was recently back in the area I stopped into Two Cousins Fish Market in Freeport, NY. As I pulled up I noticed the special - soft shell crabs...Sold! I was soon thinking of all the ways to enjoy this delicacy. However, once I found this Mark Bittman clip I quickly made up my mind.



I made my own version of a remoulade sauce for the crab giving it a bit more of a bite. The fried crab is served on a fresh roll. I was excited to try the Nature's Pride that was sent to me as a part of the Tastemaker's Program on Foodbuzz. For this sandwich I used the Country White Bakery Buns which were delicious.This basic two-step cornmeal batter is a perfect for a nice crisp fried crab.

Keep reading for the recipe!



Batter:
1 c flour
1 c cornmeal- fine
1 tbsp old bay
2 eggs - mixed
1/2 c milk

1) Pat crab dry and dip into the egg & milk mixture
2) Place in the dry mix and thoroughly coat exterior
3) Drop into hot oil - ensure it is not burning
4) Flip after 2-4 min
5) Pat dry on paper towels

Remoulade
2-4 tbsp light mayo
1 tbsp wasabi mayo (optional)
1 tbsp chipotle mustard
2 tsp lime ponzu sauce
2 pickle spears - finely diced
1 scallion - finely diced
salt & pepper

1) Mix together  - keep refrigerated