Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Wednesday - May 27, 2009 - Shrimp Stir-Fry w/ wild rice

Since we had plans for the weekend I didn't have too much normal food in the house (just tons of soda and snacks and crap!) but as always there was left over veggies and some shrimp I had in the freezer.

I gave Jeremy the option to have the shrimp and veggies mediterranean style over pasta, asian style over rice or just shrimp and veggies - he chose the asian one so I got to work on that.
First step, as always when dealing with rice, is to get it in the rice cooker as it takes a good 40 min - 1 c wild rice , 2 c water.
Next was to defrost the shrimp and then clean them - so into a bowl of hot water they went for about 10 min until I could shell and clean them.
After that I prepped the veggies - dicing everything into similar sized pieces - red and green peppers, mushrooms, snow peas, and scallions
Finally I stir fried! I don't think that there can be an easier cooking method...seriously anyone can do it. I added a bit of oil to the pan (I have a wok-pan that is perfect for this - something like this) and then the shrimp - giving them about 5 min to cook until pink - then I added some soy and sesame seeds. Next in was all the veggies and a teaspoon of hoisin sauce. Everything was done in about 10 min but of course the rice still needed some time so I shut off the gas and covered the pan until the rice popped.

In all fast, easy and delicious....perfect for a weekday night!