Tuesday, June 9, 2009

wednesday 6/3/09 - ravioli from the Hamilton Park Farmers Market

David Byrne night!!! My friend Mahan and I went to the show and we were going to grab some dinner in Montclair before the show but you know how it goes..... so we ended up eating the Ravioli that Jeremy bought at the Farmer's Market in Hamilton Park from Hoboken Farms and used the last sauce and meatballs container I had frozen to finish it off.


Our last two attempts at "fresh homemade pasta" (mushroom parpadelle and gnocchi) didn't really work out so well but the ravioli were delicious. Since we finished all of the sauce I had to make some more (plus Jeremy is craving lasagna and it kills me to buy frozen). I can't really give away family secrets since when my mother taught me she said you "add parsley.... till it smells right" so I have never used a measuring cup

I first made some meatballs (makes about 7-9)
1 lb ground beef (my mom says go for 85%)
1 egg
1/4 c grated cheese
1/2 c bread crumbs
2 tbsp parsley
2 diced garlic greens (first of my CSA season)
salt & pepper

3-4 tbsp olive oil
2 clove garlic rough chopped

1) mix all the top ingredients until uniform. roll into balls with approx 1 1/2" diameter
2) heat oil in large pan (big enough to hold all sauce) and once hot add meatballs and garlic chunks. Be careful not to burn garlic! Turn meatballs every 3-5 min (about 15 min total). Don't crowd pan.
3) drain on paper towels

For this batch I also used some hot italian sausage so I fried that up as well. Usually at this point I take out all the meat and set it aside while I make the rest of my sauce but today I went for meat sauce since I am making lasagna.



Meat Sauce
1 lb of meatball recipe
2 sausages- casing removed
4 tbsp olive oil
garlic clove - rough chopped

3 x 24 oz cans crushed tomato (probably should have been all 4 but I got distracted with tonights dinner and forgot one!)
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp parsley
2 tbsp basil
salt & pepper
2 tbsp garlic greens

1) heat oil and fry meat until brown - crumble
2) add the tomato and herbs to the meat - stir every 15 min
3) keep on low heat for 4+ hours

you can cool and store in freezer for longer periods at this point