Saturday, January 22, 2011

Homemade Oreo Cookies

This recipe has somewhat be haunting me. Growing up there was really few true "junk foods" in our house, my mom always had a soft spot for potato chips and my dad loves his Oreos. Until recently I really didn't care for potato chips (my boyfriends addiction and their ever presence in my home has changed that a little!) but I have always enjoyed an Oreo. My normal eating habits tend to avoid processed food like Oreos now but I do sometimes get samples from my work of the Oreo Cakesters and I couldn't stop thinking of them. I decided that a dinner I was holding was the perfect chance to try them out (and then hand them out!) without totally killing my NYE resolution (its still Jan I have to give it at least a month!).


I took my recipe from smitten kitchen and as always they were delicious! However the cookies were not really like oreos and the batter was very grainy because of the sugar. I don't know if I did something wrong or this is just the way they are suppose to be. I have to admit... I don't remember if I put in 1c or 1.5c that was in the original recipe but I would suggest using less as they were very sweet. These cookies were made after quite a bit of glogg was consumed so I do have an excuse. Also I did not have the vegetable shortening so I used all butter - the frosting worked out perfectly fine.  These cookies were a serious hit at my party and the review on smitten kitchen mention a version with a bit of peppermint and candy cane that sounds divine. As is they were so good that I secretly hid a few of these cookies pre-party because they were flying off the plate so quickly - definitely go for a double batch!

Keep reading for the recipe....



For the chocolate wafers:
1 1/4 c flour
1/2 c unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 c sugar
1/2 c plus 2 tbsp (1 1/4 sticks) room temp unsalted butter
1 egg

For the filling:
1/2 c (1 stick)  unsalted butter
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract

1) For the cookies, mix together dry ingredients.
2) Cream together sugar and butter, then add the egg.
3) Incorporate the dry mix in 2 or 3 additions mixing completely inbetween (the dough will form a ball but be very grainy)
4) Form into a small marble sized ball and then flatten on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
5) Cook in a 375 F oven for 9 min
6) Allow to cool on a rack until cool enough to handle
7) For filling beat butter until softened and add sugar and vanilla- beat till creamy
8) Use a piping bag (or zip lock with corner cut off) to frost in between cookies and form sandwiches.