Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Moistest Pumpkin cake ever!

So AGAIN this year there is a pumpkin shortage and when I went to the store they were just about cleaned out! I guess that means all of the plans I had for pumpkin cheesecakes are going to be on hold till next year? I was happy that I got one of the last few cans and made this cake because true to its name it was so absolutely moist and delicious. However, as usual I decided that I couldn't wait to spring my cake open (the restless peanut gallery who kept asking "is it done yet?" may have contributed to that!) though it was far from cooled so it kinda crumbled making the picture a little less pretty. (Food Photo hint #14595 if you mess up your cake stick it in a martini glass and pretend that's how its suppose to look!)


The cake took a bit longer that expected at least 20 - 30 min more due to subbing out the bundt pan for a springform. It was a good option as the batter was perfectly contained though it did rise above the edges in the oven but I think that I would like to invest in a proper bundt cake form. I first found this pudding pie recipe that sounded absolutely sinful with airy light layers on creamy mouse but in the end the cake won out with my friends. If I and lucky enough to find more cans of pumpkin you know what I will be doing later! 






Best Pumpkin (bundt) cake recipe taken from Whippedtheblog.com

2 sticks unsalted butter - softened (do not microwave as that melts butter)
1 1/4 c sugar
3 eggs
2 1/4 c AP flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp salt
15 oz can pumpkin
3/4 c well shaken buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla

for glaze:
1 c powdered sugar
2 tbsp melted butter
3 tbsp butter milk

1) Mix together all dry ingredients (flour, baking power, baking soda and spices) in one bowl and wet ingredients in another (pumpkin, buttermilk and vanilla)
2) In a third bowl, cream sugar and butter for 3 -5 min until fluffy
3) Add each egg separately and beat for 1 min in between
4) Alternate additions of dry and wet ingredients - starting and ending with dry (I did 4 dry and 3 wet additions)
5) Pour batter into a buttered and floured pan and place in 350F oven for 75 min (I used a springform pan but this was originally created for a bundt pan cooking time is 45 min if you use a bundt)- test with a toothpick in the center
6) Allow to completely cool
7)  Make icing by whisking together glaze ingredients until smooth