Saturday, November 5, 2011

Deviled Eggs

Our house is eggtastic! My boyfriend wakes up around the same time as me and while I am busy showering and dressing he sometimes makes me a hard boiled egg for breakfast. His cooking skills are basically one step only - sausage in pan or pasta in water...he even simplifies things like a grilled cheese by putting it in the oven instead of using a pan on the stove top! But I always appreciate it when he takes the time to make me breakfast, especially since I am pretty much non-functional in the morning. Well he loves deviled eggs and I have been promising that I would make him up a bunch since we almost always have a dozen eggs hanging around.



Along came football season and the creative cooks at seriouseats.com  have come up with a spicy version of the deviled egg as well as one that uses a touch of sour cream instead of mayo... delicious! I am not as adverse to mayo as I used to be but if there is a substitution I am always going to try it. There is nothing that my guy likes more than spicy so when I saw a version with sriracha sauce I knew exactly where to start. I love the idea of a Bloody Mary and some deviled eggs to start the day... though I think I should make sure to leave that to the weekend!




Spicy Deviled Eggs
10 eggs  - boiled, shelled and cut in half, yolk removed
1/4 c low fat sour cream
1-2 tbsp sriracha sauce (ie cock sauce)
juice of 1/2 lime
2 tsp dijon mustard
2 finely diced scallions
salt & pepper

garnish
paprika 
(chives would be nice here too!)

1) Mix the yolks together with all of the ingredients and then fill whites
2) Sprinkle a bit of paprika on top of filled eggs for some color (you can also cover with diced chives)