Sunday, October 28, 2012

Moroccan Chicken Stew

As a New England girl, I am use to crazy weather so when the temps dropped this past week after a long weekend in Vegas I was ready for some soup. I tried to grab some at lunch but everyplace I went was expensive or watery - I just had to make it myself. I knew that my schedule was going to be a little crazy so I wasn't going to be able to hang around for hours simmering but I needed a little more than just stick it in the crockpot. I made a compromise that did leave me with a few extra dishes but dinner much faster and easier than either of the other ways!



The easy secret to this soup is the spice blend. I have mentioned them a hundred times before (and I do not get paid to say this) but I just love my spice blends from Spices Inc. it just makes getting dinner together a little easier. Also the hardest part can be getting the ratio of the spices correct - when using a blend that's already done just add to your desired intensity. Plus its a lot easier to put everything away with just one bottle to take out.

Keep reading for the recipe



6 chicken thighs - boneless, skinless, trimmed and cut into 1" cubes
1 onion - diced
1/2 red pepper - diced
5 carrots - thin slices
4 cloves of garlic - minced
5 1" lemon rind peels (try to avoid white just take yellow)
1 can chick peas - drained and rinsed
14 oz can diced tomatoes
4 tbsp Moroccan vegetable rub
2 tbsp olive oil
2 c chicken broth
4 tbsp diced fresh parsley
4 c cooked cous cous (or other grain)

1) Pat chicken cubes dry and cover in Moroccan rub
2) Heat oil in large frying pan, brown chicken - set to the side once browned on all sides
3) In the same pan, add the diced onion and let cook down.
4) Once softened, add carrots and peppers and then finally garlic, lemon peel
5) Add the tomatoes and chick peas and let come to a boil
6) Transfer to a crock pot, add the chicken and the chicken broth and leave on high for 4 hrs (or just reduce stove top to low  for 1 hr)
7) Before serving add parsley and cous cous