Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Maple Cheesecake with Roasted Pears

Cheesecake is one of those desserts that people either love or hate - there is just no in between. I know many lovers so its a popular choice for me to bring to dinner parties. This holiday season I have seen quite a few new variations of this old classic including one of my favorite twists... cheesecake filled strawberries! My version was taken from a Martha Stewart collection of fall desserts. When I was invited to the Thanksgiving dinner, I was automatically thinking of something pumpkin flavored but the host's dislike of any and all orange colored foods made me rethink that decision. I was browsing though the list on Martha's site when I found this Maple version that was just perfect.


This is the first time I made a no-bake cheesecake. Usually I have a recipe that includes a few eggs and gets some time in the oven to make it more cake-like. This recipe was so easy and a great choice if you have been avoiding cheesecakes because of the water baths that they usually require for even cooking.





Recipe from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food Nov 2010

1.5 c graham cracker crumbs (about 12 cookies)
5 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

4 bars (8 ounces each) cream cheese, room temperature
1.5 cup pure maple syrup
2 cup cold heavy cream
4 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
Nonstick cooking spray
2 medium pears, sliced lengthwise 1/8 inch thick