There is nothing better than friends who don't judge because after all of the food we ate that night there may have been some jeans traded in for pajamas and waist bands of all type banned from the room. Jema was so kind to come and take over the kitchen and make the deliciously decadent start to our feast. Be warned if you order clams casino on a restaurant menu you will most likely end up with something stuffed with breadcrumbs and only a bit of bacon... but that is absolutely NOT how we do it!
click through for the recipe....
2 dozen clams - washed to remove all grit
4 oz of back bacon (regular bacon will also work)
1/2 green pepper - finely diced
4 shallots - diced
3 cloves garlic - diced
4 tbsp butter
2-4 tbsp fresh parsley diced
1) In a frying pan, cook back bacon until just crisp, remove from heat and crumble
2) In a large stock pot, bring about 2" of water to a boil , add clam and cover to hold in steam - remove clams once they open and set aside
3) In the same pan add 1 tbsp butter and saute shallots until translucent
4) Add garlic and green pepper to mix and combine - let soften
5) Remove from heat and add in parsley and bacon crumbles
6) Once clams and bacon mix is cool enough to handle, stuff each clam with 1-2 tbsp of bacon mix and place on cookie sheet (you can take off the top shell and just place it on top of keep whole as we did)
7) Top each clam with a small pea sized pat of butter and place in broiler for 3-5 min or until bubbling