Sunday, April 17, 2011

Over All Soup Swap Winner: Indian- Style Seafood Stew

We had so many wonderful options in the soup swap but there can be only one winner. Matt's Indian-Style Seafood Stew won not only in his category (seafood and meat) but took in the most votes overall! He agreed to write up a little guest post about his experience cooking this winning dish and share it with us.....




I had this recipe in my possession for a while now however, since it feeds six, and I'm a single guy who's doesn't generally have dinner parties, finding the right opportunity to make this eluded me until this event. I picked up all the fish from my favorite local fish market, Two Cousins Fish Market on the Nautical Mile in Freeport (once you find a good local fish market you'll never buy fish at the supermarket again). I doubled the recipe to make sure I had enough stew for both the swap and the contest. It took me longer to clean the shrimp and marinate the fish than it did to cook. This couldn't have been an easier recipe to follow. When I first tasted it after it was done I was worried I had used a bit too much cayenne, but the jasmine rice balanced out the heat perfectly. I was blown away by how everybody enjoyed this! Seemed like I everyone was going back for seconds (and some for thirds). There wasn't a drop left in the crock pot by the end of the night. I look forward to the next time I can make this for friends.
read on for Matt's recipe




Indian-Style Seafood Stew

1lb Mussels
1/2 lb flounder - cut into 2 inch pieces
1/2 lb shrimp - peeled and deveined
1/2 lb bay scallops
Juice from one lime
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion chopped fine
2 medium tomato chopped
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp curry powder
1/2 each ground coriander, cumin, and ginger
1 can coconut milk
Jasmin rice, cooked

1) Place flounder, shrimp, and scallops in a bowl.
2)Add lime juice, cilantro and cayenne. Toss to coat. Marinate in fridge for 30 min.
3) In large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
4) Add onions. Cook until soft (about 5 min).
5) Stir in tomato and tomato paste. Cook about 5 minutes.
6) Add curry powder, coriander, cumin, and ginger.
7) Add salt and pepper to taste.
8) Add coconut milk and 1 cup of water. Simmer for about 15 minutes. It should thicken slightly.
9) Bring to boil and add seafood (marinate and mussels). Cover and cook for about 5 minutes or until fish turns opaque and mussels open.
10) Serve over jasmine rice.