Sunday, September 13, 2009

9/12/09 - Julie & Julia inspired omelets filled

You would have to be living under a rock to not have noticed the new movie/book Julie & Julia that recently came out that gave all food blogs a boost of hope. It makes you feel like maybe all those dinners spent agonizing over which side of the plate is most photogenic aren't in vain. The amount of food blogs out there has increased since 2002 when the Julie Powell's blog began her experiment in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Not to say anything of the content - there are now blogs devoted to cooking everything out there vegan cupcakes to ancient grains. All this info however only takes you so far when you actually have to attempt making something new on your own at home.


What does all this have to do with the omelet pictured above you might ask? Well an early chapter of the book is dedicated to Julie trying to master the art of flipping an omelet - something that I must admit I had yet to do. I know the idea behind it and I understand the concept but something happens whenever I attempt an omelet and it ends up looking more like a clumpy mess. So first thing Saturday morning I decided that if Julie in her beat up old Long Island City kitchen (which coincidentally is where my BF lived before we found our place together in Jersey City) could do it so could I! As you see from above it came out quite nicely however I have to admit I didn't have the nerve to flip it with out the help of a plate....maybe next time.

Sometimes its the simple things that are the hardest to master!